Saturday, December 8, 2007

Revelation and a Recipe - Chocolate Pumpkin Cake!

So this began as a blog about my vintage and crafty stuff. Since about 5 months went by without crap being posted, I'm just making this my home for whatever - ramblings, thoughts, what have you. I'm lazy (surprise!), so whatever whenever, who knows. I'm bored right now so this is what I'm thinking. Does anyone even read this? Then it matters how much? Exactly.

Right now I'm baking a cake. An experimental cake! Hopefully it turns out, it's always a shot in the dark, depending what kind of flour I have on hand (I can't have gluten, which is a baking essential, so baking is kind of hard/interesting for me). I use a "crazy chocolate cake" recipe that I just use whatever flour with... it usually turns out ok. This time I added pumpkin pie mix for excitement/boredom/craving. In about 30 minutes we'lll see!

Recipe:

1.5 cups flour (tonight I used rice flour... chickpea flour works pretty well too)
1 cup sugar (I always use raw sugar)
1 tablespoon baking soda
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
.5 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoon oil (I don't do dairy/butter)
1 teaspoon vanilla (I think, I've been out of it for a while so i skip it)
1 cup oil
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 cup water
1/2 can pumpkin pie filling (tonight for the first time! normally without, also tonight less oil)

Mix dry ingredients. Then add wet ingredients. Mix (with a spoon or fork, nothing extravagant). I like to add a sprinkling of raw sugar on top for a little extra fun/flavor. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-30 minutes (check until done). Let cool - the longer it cools the more chance it has for less crumbling, hopefully. Depends on your patience. (Note: measurements may not be exact... but good enough!)

Normally it turns out good. I've made it for other normal-diet people and they've liked it (when I'm feeling fancy I'll make a berry sauce to go with it (simmer berries (raspberries, strawberries, whatever) with some maple syrup) and it's pure decadence (at least in my mind). Plus, it's really quick and easy.

Update: It's super crumbly, but soooo delicious... just a touch too sweet!

No comments: